There’s so much to the business of writing that goes far beyond putting words on paper (or into Microsoft Word).
Here’s few things writers tackle that may surprise you:
- Building a social media platform. How to best develop one’s brand? Facebook? Twitter? Website? What content and when? How much time to spend on a particular channel?
- Studying the craft of writing: writing podcasts, articles, practice exercises, books on writing, and more
- Research: Any number of questions develop, such as…
- What’s fewest number of people in a plastic surgeon’s operating room?
- What kinds of sensors are in the Oval Office?
- How does one write active characters?
- What would firefighters do in the event a multi-car crash if they’re working the scene?
- Structuring a Work: What’s a hook? A midpoint? Third person limited POV versus omniscient POV? A dangling participle? Showing vs. telling?