- Grounded by Neta Jackson: a Christian novel quite a cut above the usual, and not the ubiquitous romance.
- The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake: a literary read of contemporary life with a main thread of fantasy woven in expertly. The end wasn’t as satisfying as I wanted.
- Spin State, Chris Moriarty: I tried, I really tried to get into this recent sf work, but I couldn’t.
A few older and newer authors whose writing I enjoy:
- Louis L’Amour and Craig Johnson for westerns
- Thomas Davis Bunn for adventure and historical fiction with a Christian tone
- Steven Gould for science fiction adventure without spaceships and lasers
- Dominic Green for science fiction laughs — the books may be aimed for younger readers, but I find them funny in a dry sort of way
- Lois McMaster Bujold — character-driven, space adventure at its finest, with a solid foundation of morality and honor